|Southern Ontario Locomotive Restoration Society|
Kitchener Via Rail Station, Kitchener Ontario, November 11th, 2013
CP Ogden Yard, Calgary, Alberta, August 26th, 2013
|Number||Type||Description||Built||Previous Road||Previous Car Num||Date Acquired||Acquired From|
|WCR 81||November 2013||Donated by Canadian Pacific Railroad, Calgary, Alberta|
|Display Car||1974||Canadian Pacific Railway||CP 81|
|Baggage Car||Renumbered June 1975||Canadian Pacific Railway||
|Palletized-freight Car||Renumbered 1964||Canadian Pacific Railway||CP 4601|
|Horse Express Car||
Canadian Car &
|Canadian Pacific Railway||CP 4565|
Maintenance of Way, Scale, Passenger, Caboose and End-of-Train
AAR Car Type Code
|Load Limit||0 lbs.||Outside Length||83 ft 11 in|
|Max Weight on Rail||0 lbs.||Extreme width||10' 7"|
|LT. WT||122,900 lbs||Extreme Height||13 ft 9 in|
|Cu Ft Capacity||
Height of extreme width
|PB||Restricted Car||This railcar is restricted in interchange. Loading is prohibited without prior approval.|
Canadian Car & Foundry
|The history of the display cars follow, courtesy of the CPR:|
Display Cars 80 and 81
Two cars in Canadian Pacific Railway's fleet stand apart from the rest. CPR's display cars - CP 80 and CP 81.
Delivered as horse express cars
These smooth-sided steel cars, measuring nearly 84 feet ( 25.6 meters ), look very much like baggage cars. But Canadian Car and Foundry of Montreal originally built these two cars for CPR as horse express cars. Designed in 1947 but not delivered until early 1949, CPR first put them into service on the Company's western lines in February 1949. The two horse express cars differ from most baggage cars with three sets of
The two cars, delivered as CP 4560 and CP 4565, were each equipped to accommodate 18 horses and six attendants. Touted by enthusiastic horsemen as riding "as smoothly as a passenger car", they originally carried valuable race horses and thoroughbred saddle horses.
In 1964 the cars were refitted to carry palletized cargo and small containers, and used between Montreal and Saint John, New Brunswick. As a result they were renumbered CP 4600 and CP 4601.
A few years later the cars were converted for
In 1974 the cars were taken out of regular service and assigned to the CPR's Public Relations and Advertising department ( currently Government and Public Affairs ) as display cars. They were renumbered CP 80 and CP 81.
As display cars, CP 80 and CP 81 have shown off everything from a
The cars are now each equipped with a diesel generator that powers their video monitors,
The cars were revamped for the historic Fall 1997 "Logotrain" tour launching CPR's new beaver logo.
As visitors board CP 80 they are first given a taste of CPR's history, with a railway artifacts display, an historic
These two cars were recently the second and third cars in the consist pulled by Hudson locomotive 2816, the Empress, from Vancouver to Calgary during the steam engines inaugural run after rebuilding.
Last modified November14th, 2013